Corporate governance practices
Corporate governance, transparency and commitment to ethical values have always been a top priority for Akbank.
Akbank's pioneering firsts in corporate governance include
- First bank to disclose its dividend policy (2003).
- First bank to state its Corporate Governance Principles in its Annual Report (2003).
- First bank to publish its Corporate Governance Principles on its website (2004).
- First bank to buy back its founders' shares (2005).
- First Turkish bank to be a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact (2007).
- First bank to publish its Global Compact Report (2010).
- Pioneer in its support of the launch of the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) in Turkey (2010).
- First deposit bank to publish a sustainability report in accordance with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards (2010).
- First Turkish company included in the Global 500 Report of the Carbon Disclosure Project (2010).
- Digital Trust Principles were announced (2018).
The core corporate governance principles that regulate the relationships between Akbank's management, shareholders, employees and third parties (i.e. customers, legal authorities, suppliers, and all types of individuals and institutions which the Bank does business with) are stipulated below.
The Bank remains committed to the principle of integrity in its activities, operations and relationships with all of its stakeholders and other parties.
Aware that customer confidence lies at the heart of banking, Akbank provides customers and all other stakeholders with clear, comprehensible and accurate information and offers timely and comprehensive services in line with the promises made by the Bank.
Akbank refrains from harboring prejudice against stakeholders based on gender, behavior, opinion or ethnic origin and does not discriminate against anyone under any condition or circumstance.
Akbank abides by all laws, regulations and standards.
Except for the information deemed commercial secret, the Bank informs customers and the public at large thoroughly, accurately and promptly.
Pursuing public interest and respect for the environment
In all of its activities, practices and investments, Akbank acts to safeguard its image, interest and profitability as well as public interest, development of the banking industry, sustainability and the continuation of confidence in the sector while complying with laws and regulations related to the environment, consumer rights and public health.
Corporate governance compliance report
Akbank's management strives to establish transparent and close communication with its shareholders. The primary objective is to make Akbank shares an attractive and predictable investment vehicle for existing shareholders as well as for potential investors. For this purpose, Akbank's management implements strategic plans and shares the results in accordance with generally-accepted accounting principles and provisions of relevant legislation in a comprehensive, fair, accurate, timely and comprehensible manner equally with shareholders, investors and capital markets experts.
The fundamental governance principles that regulate the relationship between Akbank's management, shareholders, employees and third parties, (customers, legal authorities, suppliers and all types of individuals and institutions) with which Akbank does business, are stipulated in the Corporate Governance Principles. The complete report is available in pdf format below: